Monday, September 26, 2011

Space Invaders and Cheetos

So tonight we had a Stake YSA Family Home Evening. It was called "Screen on the Green" and we watched What's Up Doc? on the lawn outside of the church (well, sort of...half way through the sprinklers came on, and half the audience got wet, which fortunately didn't include me as I probably would have frozen to death as I was already freezing. We then moved to the cultural hall where we finished the movie).
I was excited for this activity because I really liked the movie choice, and its always fun to watch movies outside. So, even though I didn't have anyone to go with, I decided that it would be worth it going Han style (Solo....Yes that is a super lame joke and yet it is so awesome at the same time).
Now I need to preface this next part with the fact that I have some pretty strict personal space issues. I should probably start wearing a sign declaring to the world what expectations I have of them when they are in my personal vicinity, because honestly most people don't seem to get it.
I got to the activity early and found a nice spot with a good angle to view the screen. I laid out my blanket and pillow and had a nice strip of grass around the four sides of my blanket. I left my stuff and went to go get some snacks. When I returned there was a blanket set up right next to my blanket. In fact it was TOUCHING my blanket. Needless to say, my blanket and I felt very violated.
The offending blanket's owners were not there, but it made me feel uncomfortable knowing that complete strangers would be lying down right next to me. Ugh!
Things only got worse...my personal space was invaded...and I couldn't perform a battle attack against these invaders because they are my fellow children of God and I need to be nice (and also because I try to hide my crazy and try not yell at people and start hitting moronic individuals who put their feet on my blanket. Even though they totally deserve it.)
The original space invader is actually a member of my ward, but we've never met. As the movie finally started, space invader #1 started talking with space invader #2 (the girl directly behind me, and one of the feet-on-Allison's-blanket culprits--yes, there was more than one!). Subsequently ten mintues later they were asking each other what was going on in the movie (huh, yeah, it is hard to follow a plot when you're NOT PAYING ATTENTION!).
As I was enjoying some of the Cheetos that had been provided for the activity, space invader #1 blurted out "Cheetos!" I thought that he was going to ask me for some of my Cheetos, which I thought was weird, but hey, Cheetos are good so I couldn't fault the guy too much.
I was mistaken.
I now have a new nickname: "Cheetos"
He wanted to ask me what was happening in the movie, and he knew that if he shouted out "Cheetos" he would get my attention. Unfortunately for me, it worked...he did get my attention as well as the attention of two other girls (and the offenders of the 'nobody's feet on Allison's blanket but Allison''s rule) who started joking about how he had called me "Cheetos." (Yay--Look Mom, I'm making friends!)
As a Jane Austen addict, and also because I am currently re-reading Pride and Prejudice and even read the Darcy proposal scene today, I couldn't help but think that this type of situation would never have happened in the days of Pride and Prejudice. Even at his most prideful, Darcy was always civil, and he respected people. Also, my little nickname christening tonight would never have even happened back then because people didn't interact unless they were properly introduced. It would have been awesome if the guy had tapped me on the shoulder, introduced himself and asked for my name, and then asked his questions about the movie.
I do realize that Pride and Prejudice is fictional. I don't expect the world to be like how Jane Austen portrayed it in her novels (although she did have great insight into human nature). It would be nice though to move back to people having manners.
On the plus side, maybe I can work out a part-time mascot gig and start endorsing Cheetos. I'm sure that Chester could do with a vacation...

No comments:

Post a Comment